Monday 2 May 2011


Hey there, I haven't blogged in ages!!!!! Many apologies. Too many exams. But how could I miss blogging this weekend when so much has happened!? Let us start at the beginning: The Royal wedding. I tried my hardest to shelter myself from the hysteria but it was too big. I did not watch or care about the wedding because and here I begin my digression, I believe the royal family should end as a social entity. I just don't see how a country in this modern age can believe in democracy and that everyone is born equal and then believe that this one set of people is naturally born better than everyone else. Not to mention the fact that they no longer serve any purpose(besides symbolic). That's it, just wanted to put that out there.
Anyway, the whole country went mental, it completely caught me off guard. I was expecting complete indifference but I guess the country needs this distraction, this boost to take its mind off more concerning issues and the reignite British pride.

Then of course the sweet union of rich elites was trumped by the news of Bin Laden's death. Another story perfect for enhancing government-masses relationship as Obama's popularity is waning, he managed to do what Bush never could. I still support Obama and his pursuits, I am not sceptical of him but of the whole conflict. We can't be expected to believe anything that is related to the Iraq or Afghanistan conflict after the deception that continues to be unanswered and the lives that have been lost as a consequence. It is doubtful as to whether this assassination will abate Al qaeda's activity, if anything it will only provoke more trouble as instead of a solid unit now they are myriad splinter groups ready to erupt. What is equally disturbing is the celebrations on the streets as if a new era has begun as vengeance has been achieved. This weekend has felt like a trip back in time, back to a couple of centuries ago when people could still become saints and Monarchy was the dominant system of government. This weekend has demonstrated the power of the media who can turn these events into power. I know I sound like some crazy, anarchist living in a Winnebago in the dessert right now but this weekend has left me feeling uneasy.

1 comment:

  1. You don't live in a Winnebago? I feel like I know nothing about you anymore.

    What really gets me about the Bin Laden thing is how some people claim that he's been dead for a long time and Obama's just producing the body now as he's in need of a popularity boost.

    The media thing goes a lot deeper too. The reason that there's celebrations now is because he was the poster boy for terrorism. If an American (or let's be honest, pretty much anyone living in a westernized country), thought of the abstract notion of 'terrorist' they saw that man's face.

    It will be interesting to see how the public opinion of America's war on terror now that the image of it has been killed.

    ReplyDelete